In 1995 Leadership Fort Worth was invited by then Mayor Kay Granger to become involved with the “Our City, Our Children” initiative to make Fort Worth a “more child-friendly city.” In response to that challenge, Leadership Fort Worth designed LeaderKids Fort Worth as a program for middle-school students, identified as the stage in school with the highest dropout rates.
LeaderKids is an operating program of Leadership Fort Worth in partnership with the Fort Worth Independent School District Participants are select eighth-grade students representing all the middle schools in the school district, chosen with the assistance of the Intervention Specialists in the schools. The LeaderKids program offers well-rounded opportunities and experiences for our participants in our effort to create future leaders.
PARTICIPANT INTERACTIONS ARE CENTERED AROUND
- Five Leadership Practices – Model The Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Enable Others To Act, Challenge The Process, Encourage The Heart to help cultivate leadership qualities in participants
- Higher education and career readiness through group visits to the civic, corporate, charitable and educational centers of our community
- Local jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities available to them
- Project planning and community engagement through the implementation of a Community Service Learning Project
- Group discussions and presentations encouraging self-confidence and the ability to communicate in groups
- Interaction with student and adult mentors year-round allowing them meaningful feedback from individuals who are leaders in their respective fields
- Exposure to diverse institutions in the City of Fort Worth allowing them to visualize personal achievement as adults
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS
Each year these 8th graders take on a community service project that fulfills a real need in the community and gives them an opportunity to flex their leadership muscles. READ MORE
While it is a challenge to quantify the impact of the program, statistics provided by the school district have shown through the years that the graduation rate for our students is significantly better than the norm. We cannot claim all the credit, but we do believe the impact on the lives of students who participate in the program is reflected in their academic performance and extracurricular activities as they become adults.
GRANTS AND IN-KIND CONTRIBUTIONS
LeaderKids is provided at no cost to the participants. It is funded through the dues paid by Leadership Fort Worth members, grant-making foundations and in-kind donations from individuals and companies, which support our expenses toward transportation and meals for each LeaderKids session.
We Welcome Donations